Into The Light
You are here
Into The Light [在燈光之中]
An Immersive Lunar New Year Experience // 慶祝夢幻的農曆新年
Created by Marina Szijarto and Stephanie Wong
Lighting Arrangement by Vanka Salim
Soundscape Composition by Sapphire Haze
Into the Light is an all ages, immersive, walk-through experience; bringing a unique approach to Lunar New Year, a holiday celebrated by many in the community. Several of the rituals and customs practiced today during Lunar New Year, such as wearing the colour red, are said to be originated from the ancient tale of Nian (年). According to legend, on the eve of Lunar New Year, the sea-monster Nian came out of hiding, terrorizing villages for food, and the villagers worked together to ward off the dark monster with lanterns, loud noises, and bright light.
Created by Hong-Kong-born, Vancouver-based multidisciplinary artist, Stephanie Wong, and award-winning Richmond-based artist, Marina Szijarto, we invite you to be immersed inside the tale of Nian and embark on a journey through the darkness and fear, into celebration and light.
Whether it’s your first year celebrating or you’re continuing a long-running family tradition, celebrate Lunar New Year like never before.
The Tale of Nian
Walk through the immersive installation depicting the story of Nian, guided by illuminated lanterns, and bursts of sound, colour and light. See how the rituals celebrated today originated from warding off the evil sea monster.
Head into the lobby to celebrate the success of warding off Nian with more light and lanterns. Craft your own paper lantern and bring light to Gateway Theatre by hanging your lantern on our community display for all to see. You may also take the lantern making kit home to bring in good luck and ward off the darkness.
Wishes for the New Year
Before you head out, don't forget to go to the lucky shrine to release your wishes, hopes, and dreams at the shrine for a prosperous new year.
- Tickets for this walk-through experience are booked in 15 minute increments, with a maximum of 10 patrons admitted per time slot.
- We strongly recommend booking tickets in advance as tickets are limited.
- Please arrive on time. Latecomers may need to wait until another available time slot to enter the experience.
- Patrons will have up to an hour to explore.
- Please choose your date and time carefully.
- Patrons must be fully vaccinated for entry. Please read the Important COVID-19 Health & Safety Section below for details.
Adults (Ages 18+): $28
Child (Ages 17 & under): $18
We deeply care about the health and safety of our patrons, staff, volunteers, and community, and remains our top priority. We have put much thought and consideration in designing Into the Light to be as safe as possible.This is a contactless experience with an optional craft making station at the end.
In addition, here are some of the safety measures that remain in place:
- Adhering to provincial health orders, patrons aged 12 and over will also be required to show proof of full vaccination with valid photo ID.
- Masks must be worn all times inside the venue unless patrons are under the age of five or have a physical or medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be readily available throughout the experience and we ask patrons to exercise good hand hygiene.
- Patrons are strongly encouraged to be respectful of the personal space and comfort of the people around them while moving through this event.
For our detailed COVID-19 health and safety protocols, please read here.
If you have purchased tickets to Into the Light but are no longer able to attend due to illness you will be issued a full refund, provided you contact the Box Office at 604.270.1812 no less than two hours prior to your time slot.
In the event that Into the Light cannot proceed due to Provincial health restrictions, a full refund will be provided.
The Department of Theatre & Film at UBC